Simply a collection of tips that helped me to not only lose weight, but to live a better life.

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Color it appetizing like a boss

Time for Q&A: Which of the pictures below is more attractive? 


or


If you were thinking what I was thinking, the bottom one looks way more appetizing and attractive to me. Why? The plates contain mostly the same things- chicken, grain, and a vegetable. What is the primary difference between the two? *cough* color! Say color!

Another tip I learned from *FWDGF is to make your food look appealing! If something doesn't look good, you don't want to eat it. Isn't this what Dr. Seuss was trying to tell us with Green Eggs and Ham? Even if it's good for you and may taste allright, the appearance of a dish can make or break it. So the best way to make food look more appetizing is to add color to it! I mean, look at the first dish. It's so...bland...and yellow. When I look at it, I think blah and boring.

If my husband read this, he would probably laugh out loud because my taste in food was the epitome of bland and boring when we got married. I would never eat a vegetable and I always ate my food plain. When I went to get a hamburger, I ordered just the patty and the bun! But after reading FWDGF, my whole perspective on eating changed. I started to dress my dishes, add color, even throw little garnishes on the side! If you give enough attention to making your dinner, how much happier will you eating it?

In general, adding more color is always a good rule, because most of the colors in the the grocery store come from produce. So again, it's all about getting those fruits and veggies on your plate. When it comes to the meat and grain section of your plate, I have a rule of opposites. If my chicken has a red sauce, I try to give my pasta a white or cheesy sauce. Or if my chicken has a white sauce, I try to spice up the pasta by adding red or green (like topping it with fresh green beans, asparagus, or tomatoes). And sometimes I just do spaghetti, so my meatballs and pasta are both covered in red. But if I do that, I make sure to have a bright green salad on the side.

So it's really simple. Make your food look attractive. Now go color your life healthy!
*French Women Don't Get Fat

Boring scientific note: Plants are pretty much helpless when it comes to predators. Lets be honest, there's a lot of things that can go wrong when you're a plant. Scorched by the sun, eaten by insects and infected with bacteria are just a few. Therefore, since a plants lacks legs to run away from these hazards, it produces it's own defensive system with phytonutrients. These are chemicals of nature that protect the plant from UV rays, bacteria, and sometimes ward off insects. When humans eat plants, we call those phytonutrients antioxidants! Think about it. The UV rays from the sun are damaging to a plant because it creates free radicals. And inside us, we know that free radicals exist from the natural process of metabolism. So that is why phytonutrients (aka antioxidants) battle free radicals inside of us- because they already had practice from inside the plant! 


No comments:

Post a Comment